Monday, November 8, 2010

Happy Diwali...!! Kaju katli


This year , I made Kaju Katli and Rava ladoo for Diwali. For Kaju Katli, I adapted the recipe from saffronhut.blogspot.com, slightly reducing the quantity of sugar used. I have not used the 'warq' or silver foil which is normally used for decoration, coz I didn't have any!

Anyway, Now this Kaju katli reminds me of a beautiful incident that happened long long ago- say way back when my brother was a toddler. I still remember one of the Rakhi Days when he was hardly 5 and I tied a rakhi on his wrist and told him that he was supposed to "gift" me something. I still remember the plump little wide eyed darling of Amma and Appa asking me whether I liked "thakatai".meaning banana in the 'Baby's Dictionary'!!...I haughtily said no and just forgot about the ceremony in minutes. But brother of mine wearing a tiny "veshti" (moms think veshti is auspicious all the time) wrapped tightly around his round waist, fumbled and searched all his treasure ( a.k.a toys) and was thinking of the best toy to "present" me with.
At the end of the day my Chujju (that was his 'baby' name) came to me, trying to hide something at the back of his hands(though it was clearly visible), smiling constantly, showing his baby teeth triumphantly as if I never had baby teeth before!! His face and "veshti" was decorated with crayon and sketch pen marks. Seeing him drove Amma crazy and she was..." Ungalthe yaar antha colouryem sketch penneyum Kuzhandete kodukka sonna??".....Dad was blinking.... I didn't care much about the "coloured veshti" anyway and was more interested in the thing in his hands. The baby had a piece of paper with random drawings on one side like geometric shapes (this proves he was good in school) one plant like thing and a  living thing, probably an animal. And to our pleasant surprise, on the other side of the paper what I saw made me feel so happy and sad all together. Sad because I made our precious baby,who hardly understands the meaning of Rakhi, to get me a gift.

G-I-F-T

four clumsy letters on the paper, with a few corrections ofcourse!!

I must say you were very much creative to choose different colours for different letters. "This is the gift", he said.

No comments:

Post a Comment